[tor-relays] Debian-tor Vs User

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Sun Apr 26 19:55:28 UTC 2020

On 19.04.2020 03:54, Kathi Hilton wrote:
> The problems start
> when I try and su to debian-tor. First I get a query for a password
> which
> it doesn't have. So I make a pass for debian-tor and enter it when I su
> debian-tor.

user|group debian-tor is a system-user and login shell is set to
'/bin/false'. Means: NO LOGIN ALLOWED
This is for security reasons and should never be changed!
('/sbin/nologin' or '/bin/false' should not be changed for other
system-user's either)

You should also delete the debian-tor password that you created in
'/etc/shadow'

The entry should then look like this: debian-tor:*:18315:0:99999:7:::

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!