[tor-relays] Debian-tor Vs User

yl tor at yl.ms
Sat Apr 25 18:47:12 UTC 2020

Hello Kathi

On 19/04/2020 03:54, Kathi Hilton wrote:
> Switch from root to user = su usrname >Password. The problems start
> when I try and su to debian-tor. First I get a query for a password which
> it doesn't have. So I make a pass for debian-tor and enter it when I su to
> debian-tor. I enter whoami and the response is: user and not debian-tor.
> With or without a password it doesn't work. Secondly, if I su debia-tor >
> passwrd - sudo -u debian-tor nyx it produces a page and a half of pure
> gibberish. Sudo -i to root and enter nyx, it operates perfectly; and yes
> I understand I shouldn't run nyx as root.
>
> How do I become debian-tor so I can operate my bridge correctly? Adriann

if you use a Debian style Linux, you can add your user to the debian-tor
group to avoid the problem.

Just run:
sudo usermod -a -G debian-tor $USER

(Here you can see an explaination of the command:
https://explainshell.com/explain?cmd=sudo+usermod+-a+-G+debian-tor+%24USER )

This will add the user $USER to the group debian-tor, then you can log
out (all instances of user $USER) and log in again and run nyx without a
problem. At least that is what I do all the time for several Exits.

Regards
yl