[tor-relays] Debian-tor Vs User

Mighty Wang wang at mighty.wang
Sun Apr 19 15:58:23 UTC 2020

> Switch from root to user = su usrname >Password. The problems start
> when I try and su to debian-tor. First I get a query for a password which
> it doesn't have. So I make a pass for debian-tor and enter it when I su to
> debian-tor. I enter whoami and the response is: user and not debian-tor.
> With or without a password it doesn't work. Secondly, if I su debia-tor >
> passwrd - sudo -u debian-tor nyx it produces a page and a half of pure
> gibberish. Sudo -i to root and enter nyx, it operates perfectly; and yes
> I understand I shouldn't run nyx as root.
>
> How do I become debian-tor so I can operate my bridge correctly? Adriann
>
> --
> It can't be, so therefore it isn't - stanton Friedman
Hello Kathi

You need to add your standard user to the debian-tor group. it is not
necessary to set a password for the debian-tor user or to try to su to
that debian-tor.

If your username is kathi then as the following one-liner should do what
you need on debian:

"sudo adduser kathi debian-tor"

Then arm/nyx should fire up as the kathi user...

regards

Wang

--

MIGHTYWANG 9B2BC7EFD661072AFADC533BE8DCF1C19D8C2DCC