[tor-relays] Question about authority clock skew

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Mon Apr 13 23:34:46 UTC 2020

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 01:41:41PM +0000, torjoy wrote:
> I was browsing the "Consensus health" page and something let me curious... What is the importance of the clock skew in the authorities with the resolution of microseconds?

Sebastian's answer is exactly right.

I've just opened
https://bugs.torproject.org/33896
because you're right, there's no way the level of precision that
consensus-health reports is at all accurate.

> So considering the microssencond accuracy

Using the definitions that "precision" is how many digits you're
providing, and "accuracy" is how right you are, I'd say that we're giving
you microsecond precision but not microsecond accuracy. :)

Thanks,
--Roger