[tor-relays] Introducing: The Onion Pack

Michael Gerstacker michael.gerstacker at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 9 23:38:01 UTC 2020

Am So., 12. Jan. 2020 um 22:18 Uhr schrieb Ralph Wetzel <theonionbox at gmx.com
>:

> Good evening,
> I'd like to take the opportunity to introduce 'The Onion Pack
> <https://github.com/ralphwetzel/theonionpack>', a Tor Relay Bundle for
> Windows.
> Intended to lower the effort to setup a Tor relay (or bridge) on a Windows
> system to almost zero, it merges the latest versions of Tor's Windows
> Expert Bundle <https://www.torproject.org/download/tor/> and The Onion Box
> <http://theonionbox.com> into a smart relay / dashboard system, ready to
> run after some minutes of installation.
> Neither the Windows Expert Bundle nor The Onion Box are firmly linked into
> the installer yet pulled on demand.
> A tray icon acts as additional user interface, providing what is necessary
> to control the Tor node beyond the capabilities of The Onion Box.
>
> Being aware that this is a tool most probably dedicated to first-timers
> I'd be happy to receive any kind of feedback.
> Just give it a try!

Hi ralph

i use it on my exit relay for two months now and i am very happy about
having that nice Monitor for Windows too now so i would not want to miss it
again!
But a few things:

- Is there a way to peacefully shutdown Tor?
On Linux when you reboot or shutdown Tor i see Tor is taking its time to
shutdown softly but on Windows i think its just aborting everything when i
click "Stop!" or when i do a reboot.

- Logfile
I have specified my own path in the torrc for the Tor logfile.
When i click on "Show Logfile..." it shows me a logfile with the first few
Tor entries but not the logfile i have specified.
At the first try i was a bit confused why Tor seem to not fully start
before i then realized that it is not opening the logfile i expected it to
open.

- Uninstall process
Its a good functionality that you can just uninstall and install again to
get the new Tor version and you dont need to care for backing up your keys
but if someone wants to delete the whole thing he now need to remove them
manually or they will rest on his system forever.
I saw it with other programs a few times where you can check boxes what you
want to delete during the uninstallation process and i think if thats
possible that would be the best solution.

- Maybe make the order of the boxes in the Monitor customizable?
I dont know if its worth the work but when you have a big exit policy
specified then you need to scroll down a lot from the top where the CPU and
RAM is shown through all the things which usually do not change often to
the bottom to see the nice visualization of the throughput and the log
messages box.

So when i want to see all important things to check the health of my relay
then i usually either need to scroll a lot all the time or i need to let
the browser open where the throughput is shown and have the Task-Manager
open at the same time.
For me if the throughput and CPU and RAM would be at one place and the log
box below it that would be the best.

Overall even if i know where to download the Tor .exe i will go on using
The Onion Pack because i really love the Monitor.
Thanks!

Cheers