[tor-relays] Exit stops after one year, then again after few days

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue Apr 7 21:24:15 UTC 2020

Hi,

> On 7 Apr 2020, at 21:34, ylms <tor at yl.ms> wrote:
>
> As written above, I run an Exit (for many years, with the current setup
> since 04.2019) but on 30. March 2020 it stopped, I was unable to
> determine any reason.

Have you checked tor's logs?
They are usually in /var/log/tor/log

If you have logrotate configured, they might have already been deleted,
because 30 March is more than 1 week ago.

> So I installed updates and since there were some Kernel updates I also
> rebooted the machine. The Exit was back up and ran again till ~36h ago.
> Same situation again, I have no idea why it stopped.
>
> I now activated "Log notice syslog", I think this was in the standard
> torrc which is installed with the package of Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS anyway,
> but there is not entries in journalctl. Only Start/Stop/Reload events
> are shown in the journal for unit tor.service since 100 day ago.

Have you tried reading /var/log/sys log directly?

> Can someone help me to troubleshoot this problem, could the fingerprint
> be blacklisted? In this case would the Exit come back up running for a
> few days as described above?

Most of the time, blacklisting just makes Tor log a message in its logs.
And the directory authorities stop publishing the relay in the consensus.

(We haven't made any changes to required protocols recently. If we do,
very old Tor versions may shut down.)

Here's what we need to know to be more helpful:
* your relay fingerprint
* your Tor version
* tor's logs when it shuts down