[tor-relays] Advertised Bandwidth vs. RelayBandwidthRate

petrarca at protonmail.ch petrarca at protonmail.ch
Tue Apr 7 09:27:17 UTC 2020

Hello all - I see a constant mismatch of my relay regarding the Advertised Bandwidth vs. the defined and available RelayBandwidthRate.

Tor metrics usually only shows around 1.3 MiB/s as Advertised Bandwidth (Bandwidth rate: 3 MiB/s, Bandwidth burst: 6 MiB/s).

The torrc config defines:
RelayBandwidthRate  24 Mbit
RelayBandwidthBurst 48 Mbit

So everything looks fine, except the Advertised Bandwidth seems to be too low. Fingerprint is 605EE4375EE4C38215C8949F5808863749FD4F4A and there is plenty of bandwidth available (1 Gbps link). The connection is up-and-running perfectly fine without any issues or interruptions for at least a month.

Any idea, why the Advertised Bandwidth is so low?