[tor-relays] Bridge Sees 100x Clients Starting 2019-08-31

Porcelain Mouse porcelain_mouse at vfemail.net
Mon Sep 16 19:25:03 UTC 2019

Tor Operators,

It's been about a year since I switched my middle node to a bridge.
Since then, usage on that node has increased and I have the bandwidth for
it, so that's good.  But, 16 days ago, this node started moving a lot more
data, hitting the bandwidth limits, constantly.  And its serving many more
clients, more than 100 times the recent average.

On this list, I see some messages regarding SSH abuse traffic using Tor.
I also see a call from Phillip W. about more obfs4 bridges.

1) Can we be pretty sure the bulk of this sudden increase in users is
abuse traffic?  If not, is this a problem?

2) What should I do about it, if anything?

3) Would using obfuscation help this problem?

Thanks,
--
PMouse