[tor-relays] FW: Lots of spam on new tor exit node.

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Sep 9 00:28:18 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 7 Sep 2019, at 21:06, <email-group at tor.bband.net> <email-group at tor.bband.net> wrote:
>
> I have recently setup a new tor exit node but since about an hour of setting it up it has been almost maxed out with spam.
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/4AFECB973C2268D5074D8DEDAF0BDB604C89ED50
>
> How can I combat it?
>
> I turned the node off for about an hour from about 6.30am GMT but the user reconnected. From the looks of it they are connecting through the tor network. DNS logs are looking like it is targeting illicit Russian drug forums almost all with .biz domains.

That's totally normal. People use anonymity for all sorts of reasons.

And it's hard to tell the difference between spam and anonymous sites with
weird names.

Here's our advice for exit relays:
* don't run them at home, if you're at risk from the police assuming the exit
  traffic is your traffic
* don't monitor the sites that are accessed via the exit, because that
  is illegal in some places, and changes your legal risk in others