[tor-relays] Operator straw poll: Reasons why you use Tor LTS versions?

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sun Sep 8 07:30:00 UTC 2019

> Unfortunately, we still have something like 2500 relays on either Tor
> 0.2.9-LTS or Tor 0.3.5-LTS.
>
> What are the reasons for this? My guess is the top 5 most common
>
> 1. "I didn't know that Debian's backports repo has latest-stable Tor!"
> 2. "I didn't see the Tor Project repos mentioned in Tor's Relay docs!"
> 3. "I'm running a distribution that Tor Project doesn't have repos for."
> 4. "I rolled my own custom Tor from git and forgot about it."
> 5. "My relay machine was not getting any updates at all. Oops."
>
> Does anyone have a reason that they think many other relay operators
> also share?
>
> How can we fix that for you, or at least, how can we make it easier to
> run the very latest stable series Tor on your relay?

- "I followed the official torproject documentation for Debian/Ubuntu which says 'apt install tor' in the first option" (before the relay guide has been introduced - which points to option two)
https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en

- "I run vanilla debian and don't want to trust any third party or backport repos if not necessary"

- "I want to run a relay with minimal effort and LTS releases happen less frequently -> less effort"

- "If I update my relay frequently my cw decreases"

- "Roger said tor 0.3.5 is especially stable, we like more stable software"
(see the emails send out to operators on https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/network-health/2019-September/thread.html )

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu