[tor-relays] Operator straw poll: Reasons why you use Tor LTS versions?

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Thu Sep 5 05:46:49 UTC 2019

On Thu, 05 Sep 2019 02:11:00 +0000
Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org> wrote:

> 1. "I didn't know that Debian's backports repo has latest-stable Tor!"

I only looked to backports when I get a warning on the metrics website that my
versions are not recommended. Aside from that, I thought that running LTS on
relays is actually beneficial, to prevent any newly introduced bugs in the
current latest versions from having an impact on the network infrastructure.

> 2. "I didn't see the Tor Project repos mentioned in Tor's Relay docs!"

I was using them in the past, but then decided not to, as it's adding some
management overhead and also one more potential security weakpoint.

--
With respect,
Roman