[tor-relays] New relay in USA: bridge or middle relay?

teor teor at riseup.net
Thu Oct 31 00:46:58 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 31 Oct 2019, at 10:04, ECAN - Matt Westfall <mwestfall at ecansol.com> wrote:
>
> hah, mine is -=severely=- under utilized......
>
> NO CPU Load: https://puu.sh/EyX6N/81a5d5c76e.png
>
> 4 Mbps of throughput 2 Mbps each way or only ~ 20Mbps ea way: https://puu.sh/EyX7F/b7885ce635.png
>
> Plenty of bandwidth: https://puu.sh/EyX9O/65334af451.png

> I realize that "false advertising of bandwidth to abuse the network protocols"  has impacted the "consensus weight" assigned to various nodes.
>
> But there -definitely- needs to be a more intelligent system developed for determining this.
>
> I just proved that I have 2 GIGABITS of bandwidth.... HUNDREDS to other countries, but there is 20 MegaBits flowing through my relay, lol.

The speed tests you ran are not Tor traffic. It's not even clear if they
are TCP or TLS.

Tor users run Tor clients, just like the bandwidth authorities do.

Here are 5 speed tests with actual Tor clients to your relay:
https://consensus-health.torproject.org/consensus-health-2019-10-30-23-00.html#C9FD236FDE28003315BD8C96EE94BC58D85FBACF

Comcast is well-known for bad peering, and slowing down particular
protocols. Search the list archives for details.

Here are some steps you can take to try to improve the speed of your
relay:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/MyRelayIsSlow

Let us know how you go!

teor