[tor-relays] public open socks port

Matt Traudt pastly at torproject.org
Wed Oct 23 18:58:06 UTC 2019

On 10/23/19 14:48, Toralf Förster wrote:
> On 10/22/19 9:33 PM, ylms wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> I am wondering if there is any reason why one should not open the socks
>> port of Tor to the public internet?
>
> b/c everybody could configure then your Tor eg. with
> https://nyx.torproject.org ?

The ControlPort is for configuring Tor, not the SocksPort.

SOCKS is unencrypted and, as Tor uses it, unauthenticated. Using a Tor
SocksPort on your local network (or better: local host) is way more
secure than using one somewhere on the Internet.

At least make an SSH tunnel if you're going to do this ...

--
Matt