[tor-relays] DDNS with Relays and/or Bridges?

nottryingtobelame at protonmail.com nottryingtobelame at protonmail.com
Sat Oct 19 16:57:00 UTC 2019

Forgive me if this is a dumb or newbie question, but can DDNS be used with either relays or bridges? I was considering setting up DDNS with FreeDNS mostly for my bridge so that if the IP changes (I have chosen not to subscribe to a static IP with my ISP), my clients can still access the bridge, rather than having to reset and start the bridge from scratch. Obviously I would not make it "torbridge.anonymousnetwork.com" or anything that would suggest its true use. Maybe something like "photoserver.whatever.com" or something like that.

If DDNS can be used, my follow-up question is where all would I need to set that information? I'm guessing just in torrc? I do not remember the flag for identifying your IP, as I've always left it blank for Tor to guess, but could the DDNS hostname be entered here in lieu of the IP?

Thanks for your time.