[tor-relays] Bridge Sees 100x Clients Starting 2019-08-31

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Wed Oct 9 08:35:28 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 12:31:31AM -0700, Porcelain Mouse wrote:
> > Are most of your new clients from Iran?  We believe that some popular
> > third-party software started using our bridges, causing these spikes.
>
> Yes.
>
> So, I'm seeing the same symptoms, again after about a week of almost no
> traffic.  FYI.

Thanks for running a bridge!

I've heard versions of your stories from three or four other people who
run bridges too. The basic pattern seems to me that suddenly they have
tens of thousands of extra bridge users, and it lasts for a week or so
and then the traffic vanishes again.

I assume that somebody is shipping a Tor client and a custom bridge list
in some software that has this many users. And they keep updating their
software with newer bridge lists.

I remain curious what the software is. :)

--Roger