[tor-relays] Some newbie questions

skarz skarz at protonmail.com
Thu Oct 3 01:17:33 UTC 2019

Hello all, I have a few newbie questions on some topics that I would like to clear up...

What is the proper way to stop/start/restart a relay? I’ve ‘corrupted’ a few relays during this process, for example a relay had a new fingerprint after restarting the machine. Actually my biggest problems thus far are all based around Tor behaving weird after a restart.

Also, after I make changes to the torrc file, is pressing ‘x’ in Nyx an acceptable way to enable the changes or is there a preferred method?

Last, if I’m running a bridge at home do I need to configure iptables / fail2ban or is my firewall sufficient? And specifically which ports need to be forwarded to my bridge? Just the ORPort or others as well?

Thanks!

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile