[tor-relays] New operator

Mario Costa mario.costa at icloud.com
Thu Nov 21 14:17:42 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

I have some newbie questions and I hope this is the right place to ask them.

I started operating a relay on my VPS for a bit more than a month and everything seems to be going well. I constantly have about 200 outbound and 2000 inbound connections, but in nyx I almost never see any circuits. What does it mean? Do I see circuits only when someone is actually using my relay, i.e. in Tor Browser?

To further support the project I decided to run a bridge at home using a Raspberry Pi. How do I know when it is being used? I rarely see any traffic. Sometimes I see one outbound connection in nyx and some circuits open, but I never see an inbound connection to port 80 (the obfs4 port I chose). Why does the bridge have open circuits more often than the relay?

I couldn’t find any answers online, so I hope to clear things out here.

Regards,

m.
GPG fingerprint: 6C3B 0069 30C4 0F16 E5F6 690E 7D2E 100E C3C4 7105 <https://keys.openpgp.org/vks/v1/by-fingerprint/6C3B006930C40F16E5F6690E7D2E100EC3C47105>