[tor-relays] Hardware specs for a high-bandwidth Tor exit?

Christian Pietsch christian.pietsch at digitalcourage.de
Tue Nov 5 23:15:21 UTC 2019

Dear Tor friends,

the NGO I am volunteering for (Digitalcourage e.V.) has been running
modest Tor exits for many years. Now we finally have the opportunity
to run a high-bandwidth exit relay because we found a data center with
a nice internet connection (20 Gbit/s) we may use.

My question is: What kind of hardware should we buy to utilize this
bandwith? I am told that we need an SFP+ networking card to connect to
the fibre optics cable, but what CPU and mainboard would you recommend
nowadays? It should fit into a 1 height unit 19" enclosure.

If you prefer to tell me in person: I will attend the Tor meetup in
Brussels on Friday <https://blog.torproject.org/events/tor-meetup-brussels>
and the subsequent Freedom Not Fear event <https://www.freedomnotfear.org/>.

Cheers,
Christian

--
Christian Pietsch | volunteering for Digitalcourage e.V., Germany
Digitalcourage e.V.: https://digitalcourage.de/