[tor-relays] Relay Consensus Low

teor teor at riseup.net
Thu May 30 23:05:20 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 25 May 2019, at 01:13, Matt Westfall <mwestfall at ecansol.com> wrote:
>
> My tor node: https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/B1B10104EB72A1FBBF6687B05F1915D87D00DBDE
>
> Doesn't ever go up above 8800 or so.
>
> One thing I notice in Nyx is that my connections never go above about 2000 in and out connections.

That's unusual, because there are about 7,000 relays in the network.
How many simultaneous connections does your router support?
(Lots of them claim to support unlimited connections, but only support
a few hundred or a few thousand.)

> I have advertised bandwidth of just shy of a gigabit in my config.  I understand now that the "advertised bandwidth" is calculated based on observed traffic through the node, which while more reliable and avoids abuse, seems to be counter productive to a degree.
>
> Ultimately what do I need to do to get more traffic through my node? Cause I have a 2Gbps fiber sitting here basically doing nothing so I was giving 1Gbps to tor :)

You could remove all the bandwidth limits, and put them back in when tor is using
more than you want it to. (Tor tries to keep some extra bandwidth to deal with
traffic spikes, so a 1 Gbps limit will get you around 300 kbps sustained traffic.)

Here's a more detailed explanation, and some other things to try:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/MyRelayIsSlow