[tor-relays] Tor relay says it is reachable, but is not appearing on the network.

teor teor at riseup.net
Fri May 24 01:15:53 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 24 May 2019, at 09:19, Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all, so this is the tor log since the last restart. It includes the relay fingerprint. The tor version is (0.2.9.16-1).

The log you posted is missing a few lines at the start, including the lines
that tell us the tor version.

We need to see the tor version that is *running*, not the tor version that
you installed. Just in case they are different. (Authorities reject really old
Tor versions.)

> When I tried updating tor I got a message saying that was the
> newest version.

It looks like you're on Debian or Ubuntu, please follow these instructions
to update:
https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en

> The relay has an assigned static ip and port which are both allowed by the firewall. It seems strange that
> Dmitrii Tcvetkov was able to reach the relay though teor cannot,

We looked in different places:

Dmitrii connected to the IP and ports of your relay using SSL.
I looked for your relay in the votes and the consensus, but I did not find it.

> also that the relay says it is reachable and receiving traffic but not appearing in the relay list.

I think your relay is not publishing its descriptor. See my comments below
about the relay log.

> It seems like the relay
> would not be able to start at all if Google was blocking it.

There are lots of different ways to block relays. Some let the relay start, but
it never gets in the consensus. But I don't think that has happened to your
relay.

> May 21 20:01:32.000 [warn] You are running Tor as root. You don't need to, and you probably shouldn't.

I don't know how you are configuring and running your relay. Using a guided
relay configuration tool might help you. See my suggestion below.

> May 21 20:01:33.000 [notice] Your Tor server's identity key fingerprint is 'torworld 3A4E582092E7C6B822EC01F4D76F680F6C65B0A2'

I have confirmed that this fingerprint is not in the votes or consensus.

> May 21 20:01:33.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 0%: Starting
> May 21 20:03:53.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 80%: Connecting to the Tor network
> May 21 20:03:54.000 [notice] Guessed our IP address as 104.154.93.253 (source: 128.31.0.34).

128.31.0.34 is the IP address of moria1, so your relay can connect to the directory
authorities. That means that Google isn't blocking connections out.

> May 21 20:03:58.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 100%: Done
> May 21 20:03:58.000 [notice] Now checking whether ORPort 104.154.93.253:65534 is reachable... (this may take up to 20 minutes -- lookfor log messages indicating success)
> May 21 20:04:01.000 [notice] Self-testing indicates your ORPort is reachable from the outside. Excellent.

Your relay and Dmitrii have confirmed that this port is reachable from the
outside.

But your relay log does not say "Publishing server descriptor." That's why your
relay is not in the votes or the consensus.

So we need to answer these questions:
* Is your relay configured as a bridge?
* Is your relay configured to *not* publish its descriptor?
  (Relays publish their descriptors by default.)

Please copy and paste your torrc into your next email.

Your logs were also missing these things:

> * tor version,
> * role (relay or bridge), and
> * descriptor posts to authorities.

Please post the parts of your logs that contain this information.
There is no need to paste more than 2 repetitions of the
Heartbeat/Cell/Circuit/Connection/DoS lines.

You seem to have a lot of trouble configuring relays manually.
You might have a better experience with a guided setup tool, like this
Tor Relay role in Ansible:
https://github.com/nusenu/ansible-relayor