[tor-relays] forward relay connections

Conrad Rockenhaus conrad at rockenhaus.com
Thu May 23 11:11:48 UTC 2019

Actually, it’s very secure. By default, Tor doesn’t log anything but simple notice messages. In addition, if you use Offline Master Keys (https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorRelaySecurity/OfflineKeys) the security of your node is greatly enhanced. As long as you have direct root access to the VM, you’re fine. Also, most VM use OSS HyperVisors such as KVM or Xen.

> So the reason why I was thinking to do so is that I wanted to run a small exit relay on a device running only open source software, like Olimex Lime2 does, and under my direct control.

If you really want to use this device as an exit, I would strongly suggest that you don’t do it at home, there’s actually a few companies that specialize in colocation for small hardware platforms such as the Lime2.

> The latency from my home and the VM is not so high (45-50 ms), and I was pretty sure that with a proper configuration I didn't risk that users exit through my home connection.  But If you say that with a so small bandwidth It can't run properly, I trust you, so I keep a non-exit relay.

That’s actually very high latency to add to the hop because you’re going to add SSH encryption on top of it, which will add more latency, just to get to the VM? I wouldn’t consider it feasible.

Now that I’m thinking about it, you could try finding a VPN provider that allows Tor and using that VPN provider on your Lime2.

-Conrad