[tor-relays] Become a Fallback Directory Mirror

gus gus at torproject.org
Tue May 21 13:32:57 UTC 2019

Dear Relay Operators,

Do you want your relay to be a Tor fallback directory mirror?
Will it have the same address and port for the next 2 years?
Just reply to this email with your relay's fingerprint.

If your relay is on the current list, you don't need to do anything.

If you're asking:

Q: What's a fallback directory mirror?

Fallback directory mirrors help Tor clients connect to the network. For
more details, see [1].

Q: Is my relay on the current list?

Search [2] and [3] for your relay fingerprint or IP address and port.
[2] is the current list of fallbacks in Tor.
[3] is used to create the next list of fallbacks.

Q: What do I need to do if my relay is on the list?

Keep the same IP address, keys, and ports. Email tor-relays if the
relay's details change.

Q: Can my relay be on the list next time?

We need fast relays that will be on the same IP address and port for 2
years. Reply to this email to get on the list, or to update the details
of your relay.

Once or twice a year, we run a script to choose about 150-200 relays
from the potential list [3] for the list in Tor [2].

Q: Why didn't my relay get on the list last time?

We check a relay's uptime, flags, and speed [4]. Sometimes, a relay
might be down when we check. That's ok, we will check it again next
time.

It's good to have some new relays on the list every release. That helps
tor clients, because blocking a changing list is harder.

cheers,
gus

[1]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/FallbackDirectoryMirrors