[tor-relays] Trouble Running Middle Relay On Google Cloud Debian VBS

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Sat May 18 20:42:48 UTC 2019

On Wed, 15 May 2019 22:26:25 -0700
Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So I am starting a new middle relay using a VPS hosted on Google Cloud
> running Debian. though the relay is running, it is not appearing in the
> consensus after 10 hours. Here is the tor log, any thoughts on what is
> going on would be greatly appreciated thank you.

> May 15 18:23:53.000 [notice] Now checking whether ORPort
> 35.238.140.120:65534 is reachable... (this may take up to 20 minutes --
> look for log messages indicating success)
> May 15 18:23:54.000 [notice] Self-testing indicates your ORPort is
> reachable from the outside. Excellent.

FWIW this 35.238.140.120:65534 is not reachable right now from any of my
machines. Did you change the port or IP since then? Also, I never used a Google
VPS, but it appears you need to do extra steps to ensure you get a static
external IP:
https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/ip-addresses/reserve-static-external-ip-address
Did you do that?

--