[tor-relays] Email Blocked by ISP

gerard at bulger.co.uk gerard at bulger.co.uk
Fri May 17 10:44:09 UTC 2019

Yea, the big corporates do not want anyone to run their own email servers now, and I may end up giving up, as no longer really need a VPS as I am retired.   Email servers that are not a run through big corporation  are by definition suspicious.

At one time I ran Tor with a separated IP address on the server in and out,  but blacklisting sites soon worked that one out.    I have VPS for Tor are elsewhere not on my personal VPS.

Email servers are tedious to set up SPF, dkim ,dmarc, certificates and fail2ban.  Even with that all in place, and on no blacklist whatsoever (as listed on MXtoolbox) both Google's email systems and Microsoft can suddenly, you to their email accounts.   They never give a reason.   I had this twice now. It is a real chore finding their hidden web pages and forms to deal with the issue to get you off their internal backlists, and it takes a few days.   Because my email server has so little traffic, is it impossible to earn "reputational" good marks with them. So one glitch probably triggers their algorithm to block.

Gerry