[tor-relays] Anti-Sybil (re: Explain... all the Nodes)

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Fri May 3 19:05:06 UTC 2019

Hi All,

On 02/05/2019 21:15, Paul Syverson wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 04:01:52PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
>> Node location, payment, OS, ISP, uptimes, anon / nym / PGP / GovID,
>> workplace, politic, blogs, whatever else you can imagine,
>> including incorporating what's already in the consensus, contact,
>> MyFamily, nickname, both real world and virtual infos,
>> operator to operator p2p Web of Trust...
>
> Note that we created a research system for gathering such data,
> reasoning about the trust implications, and applying it to routing
> decisions. we wrote a paper on it that we presented at PETS 2015.
> "20,000 In League Under the Sea: Anonymous Communication, Trust,
> MLATs,and Undersea Cables"
> https://www.petsymposium.org/2015/papers/04_Jaggard.pdf

This reminds me of the Contact Info Sharing Specification.

There are details on the specification at:

https://github.com/nusenu/ContactInfo-Information-Sharing-Specification

You can also automatically generate the Contact Info string using this
tool (I've not checked this out yet):

https://torcontactinfogenerator.netlify.com/

Currently Tor Metrics doesn't do anything with this data (except archive
it) because not that many relay operators are using it, but if more
operators were sharing the information using this specification then it
would help Metrics understand the network better, and help with research
projects that want to better understand the network to improve path
selection too.

I've just set the Contact Info on my two relays to conform to this
specification (might take an hour or two to show up on Relay Search).

Just checking now, only 70 relays use this specification, which is
approx 1% of the running relays. If we can get this up to 4-5% then Tor
Metrics may look more closely at this.

Thanks,
Iain.