[tor-relays] [tor-talk] Tor diversity (was: Explain yourself Conrad Rockenhaus)

René Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Thu May 2 10:10:42 UTC 2019

Op do 2 mei 2019 09:43 schreef Tor Revolution <
isupportthenewrevolution at protonmail.com>:

> You are probably trying to push hacked FreeBSD or that hacked HardenedBSD
> stuff that no one cares about anyway. If people cared about more FreeBSD on
> Tor they would do it but obviously it's not a big issue!!!

Ignoring half-baked accusations against Conrad for now.

Having relays running something else than Ubuntu *is* an important issue.
This does not have to be FreeBSD/HardenedBSD, it can also be
OpenBSD/NetBSD, MacOS, or even Windows. The point is that if someone (say
the NSA) discovers a bug in Ubuntu which they can use to take over relays,
and 95% (or so) of the relays run Ubuntu, then they can take over Tor. If a
significant part of the relays run something else, then those relays are
safe for the exploit and consequently becomes harder for the NSA to take
over Tor.

As for why 95% of the relays runs on Ubuntu, I guess it is legacy. At least
https://support.torproject.org/#operators advertises multiple operating
systems.

See also https://torbsd.github.io/

René (running "ymkeo" on FreeBSD for almost 5 years now)