[tor-relays] Protecting the bridge port from active probes

Marek Szuba scriptkiddie at wp.pl
Fri Mar 29 11:24:12 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-29 07:46, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> Yes, this advice is correct. Feel free to firewall off your ORPort
> from the outside.
>
> It will make your bridge complain that it is unreachable, until
> somebody reaches it via one of the pluggable transports, which will
> satisfy it and it should stop complaining.

I see, thanks for clarifying - it's mostly those scary-looking messages
in the log that have prompted me to ask this in the first place.

> You can also simplify that step by setting "AssumeReachable 1" in
> your torrc file.

Handy!

PS. Thank you very much for an inspiring talk at FOSDEM, Roger.
Everything else aside I now always make sure I keep a Snowflake proxy
running in my browser whenever I am online, and have even seen it being
used (or have seen the logo animate in any case) on a few occasions.
Next stop, trying to convince my employer to run a relay - hopefully an
exit one!

--
MS