[tor-relays] Tor website overhaul -- who deserves punishment?

Lars Noodén lars.nooden at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 09:09:50 UTC 2019

On 3/28/19 12:34 AM, Mirimir wrote:
> On 03/27/2019 09:10 AM, Ralph Seichter wrote:
>> Not sure if this is the right place to vent, but here goes:
>>
>> Whoever changed the Tor website's design seems to a) have a serious
>> vision impairment and b) done his utmost to hide access to the Tor
>> source code.
>>
>> I think the site feels dumbed down to cater only to those with the
>> shortest attention spans (and bad eyesight) now. Also, as a relay and
>> exit operator, I care most about the source code and documentation, not
>> some management summary.
>>
>> Was there no QA process involved before rolling out the new website?
>>
>> Annoyed,
>> Ralph
>
> Well, it's obviously targeted at mobile devices.
>
> And it's too bad that there's no link to a desktop version.

Part of the problem, for my use, is the banner which is fixed and won't
scroll out of the way, eating up screen real estate instead of showing
the information I am looking for.  I've gotten rather quick with editing
via the browser's Inspect Element function in other contexts, it can be
used here too.  However, it would be better if the page were designed
with more usability in mind.

As for the information I was looking for, the web site's apparent
exclusive focus on just the Tor Browser is a big negative change for
those looking for Tor itself.

But about the problematic layout that now exists, in general, the CSS
media rule mixes all types of screens together regardless of
orientation, aspect ratio or size.  So mobile and multi-screen desktops
all fall under the 'all' or 'screen' values.

/Lars