[tor-relays] Tor website overhaul -- who deserves punishment?

Alison Macrina alison at torproject.org
Wed Mar 27 17:39:00 UTC 2019

Ralph Seichter:
> * Matthew Finkel:
>
>> Please be respectful. The tone of this message is disrespectful of the
>> time, effort, and skill that went into launching the new website. It's
>> unfortunate you do not appreciate or like the new site, but that does
>> not excuse you.
>
> Disrespectful for you, maybe. I did not name names. Besides, I won't
> feign to care about time and effort spent when I consider the result not
> worth said time and effort. I don't hand out medals or diplomas for
> trying/participating. You probably get the gist. ;-)

I agree with Matthew that your email was very rude. Basic human decency
is not "hand[ing] out medals or diplomas for trying/participating".
Please do better. We are all working hard on Tor, many of us volunteers,
and we should treat one another as community.

>> This new website is significantly better and more welcoming for the
>> general population, rather than a small percentage of the population.
>
> I respect your right to have that opinion, although I disagree.  What
> metrics you believe to support your "significantly better" I don't know.

The redesign efforts were based on user testing as well as research on
usability, accessibility, and localization. I am personally excited for
how much easier it will be for our users to find what they're looking
for, and how much easier it will be to translate this new site into many
languages.

>> If you have suggestions for improving the new design, then please let
>> us know.
>
> I suggest reverting to the previous website design. That design was,
> IMO, "welcoming for the general population" in the sense that it treated
> visitors as intelligent beings, capable of reading more than a few
> buzzwords. I find it alarming that a certain school of web designers
> these days seem to think their audience has the attention span of fruit
> flies. From where I am standing, *that* is disrespectful.
>
> -Ralph

Okay, you are entitled to your opinion as well. Please also be kind. And
finally, this is a mailing list for tor-relays. Please stay on topic.

Alison