[tor-relays] Tor website overhaul -- who deserves punishment?

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 16:30:27 UTC 2019

Hi Ralph,

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 05:10:08PM +0100, Ralph Seichter wrote:
> Not sure if this is the right place to vent, but here goes:
>
> Whoever changed the Tor website's design seems to a) have a serious
> vision impairment and b) done his utmost to hide access to the Tor
> source code.

Please be respectful. The tone of this message is disrespectful of the
time, effort, and skill that went into launching the new website. It's
unfortunate you do not appreciate or like the new site, but that does
not excuse you.

The source code has not moved, it is still available at
gitweb.torproject.org, as usual. If you're looking for the download
page, then there is an open bug for that, see [0].

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/29907

> I think the site feels dumbed down to cater only to those with the
> shortest attention spans (and bad eyesight) now. Also, as a relay and
> exit operator, I care most about the source code and documentation, not
> some management summary.

Thank you for running these relay, we all appreciate it. The website,
however, is intended for a diverse audience, and most people are not
familiar with Tor. This new website is significantly better and more
welcoming for the general population, rather than a small percentage
of the population.

If you have suggestions for improving the new design, then please let us
know.

Sincerely,
Matt