[tor-relays] Tor Exit Relay CPU Usage Running at 100% for 1 MB/s on FreeBSD

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Tue Mar 12 02:10:48 UTC 2019

I have set up two exit relays on a FreeBSD 12.0 dedicated server:

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/1CD029594B08E07F29B9420410C2E34DB71FBB28
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/A0EB2BD840838FAD51BDAD86B0BA3908FADFAE05

Looking at my top stats, I get CPU usage of 100% most of the time
(meaning 95% of the time) on both instances pushing around ~1 MB/s with
both instances.

The server is a HP Blade server and has a single Intel Xeon L5520 CPU
with 16GB of RAM.

Tor is configured to have 150 Mbps per instance, with a total of two
instances.

Why am I getting this abnormal CPU usage? What's the solution? I don't
want to use Linux but can use another *BSD or Solaris/Illumos if I must.

-Neel

===

https://www.neelc.org