[tor-relays] german plans on banning TOR

Herbert Karl Mathé mail at hkmathe.de
Wed Mar 6 21:39:47 UTC 2019

Let's be pragmatic:

There's "anti-darkweb" propaganda been quite a while going on, mainly by Federal Criminal Police Office, backed up by Christian (so-called) Democrats, and the Nazi party, sure, pointing out like lots of children's lives could be saved, or saved from being abused, resp., when vanquishing "The Darkweb". Trucks (lorries), knifes, or similar potentially lethal objects are not on their agenda. Police spokespersons around the clock complaining being substantially disadvantaged - should say: retarded???

Unsurprisingly, police forces in any legislation are not neutral, these do not at all mirror society and its inherent diversity. Plus, police forces very indirectly are serving the public, with any misdemeanor or assaults to be prosecuted not before afterwards by taking complex, costly and risky legal actions, never immediately, or right in place. That makes a huge difference.

What this legislation is very likely ending up is various courts ruling through verdicts on eventually shutting down specific sites. These verdicts might easily appear as being random, which is due to immense lack of in-depth knowledge in related matters (see file sharing dissuasions by dedicated law firms being backed by courts having difficulties understanding IP addresses), also due to each and every court ruling independent which makes it like gambling, these courts at the same time being highly susceptible to what is believed by them to be public opinion.

The latter is what's being made up right with this legislative initiative, leveraging Tor Project for staging some threat model. Cynically enough, threat (by The Onion) again is from foreign, just like for some time refugees had been said to be (evil propaganda which obviously, and thank god, did not fully work out).

In phase of weakness, it's always the outlandish being plead guilty, being abused to deviate from domestic, and home-made, self-made failure.

No facts yet, just some reflected opinions - as soon as such legislation is out it'll be much harder to defend liberty. It's not about paragraphs, or bits and bytes, it's about freedom and democracy.

Free press, and journalists as individuals will as consequence be under heavy suspicion for cooperating with elements of Dark Web.

If Germany falls...

--
Herbert Karl Mathé

mail at hkmathe.de
PGP B9BF953500452875  https://www.hkmathe.de/pub_key_16-07-09.txt
@hkmathe
Beethovenstr. 13  60325 Frankfurt  Germany