[tor-relays] IPv6 ORPort autodetection on relays (Was: Re: Running 2 relays with 0.4.0.2_alpha [err] descriptor at 0x8a0acdb0830 begins with unexpected string "".)

AVee d6relay at d6.nl
Sat Mar 2 14:41:58 UTC 2019

Op 01/03/2019 om 10:20 schreef Roman Mamedov:

> There are no globally designated "temporary" or "permanent" address ranges.
> Temporary addresses are created by the OS in the same /64 subnet received
> from the upstream router as other IPs. See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4941
> (There are the ULA and Link-local ranges, but those are unrelated to the
> temporary/permanent question).

Both Windows and Linux mark those addresses as temporary, and it seems
to be possible to detect the difference when listing available
interfaces. I guess the same is true for other operating systems. This
would probably have to be done in platform specific code, I don't think
there is a generic way to deal with this. So it probably won't be
trivial to get it right 100% of the time.