[tor-relays] IPv6 ORPort autodetection on relays (Was: Re: Running 2 relays with 0.4.0.2_alpha [err] descriptor at 0x8a0acdb0830 begins with unexpected string "".)
teor at riseup.net
Fri Mar 1 00:02:42 UTC 2019
Cc'ing Linus, because he is also interested in IPv6.
> On 28 Feb 2019, at 19:01, s7r <s7r at sky-ip.org> wrote:
> However, shouldn't the line:
> ORPort 9050
> bind to all v4 and v6 available interfaces / IP addresses? If it does
> not, we should fix it to do so. As in:
> ORPort 9050 - bind to all available v4 and v6
> ORPort 0.0.0.0:9050 - bind to all available from the v4 class
> ORport [::]:9050 - bind to all available from the v6 class
> ORPort <explicit-address>:port - bind to specified address exactly
Tor already binds to IPv4 and IPv6 by default.
But it only autodetects IPv4 addresses.
(Binding to IPv6 doesn't really do much, if you don't have an IPv6
address to advertise.)
I'd love to make Tor autodetect IPv6 addresses.
Here's what we need to do to make that happen:
1. make relays extend over IPv6
* these relays should declare a new protocol version "IPv6Relay=1"
2. make relays check their IPv6 ORPorts for reachability using an IPv6Relay
* make relays connect to their own IPv6 ORPort (needs 1)
* detect and track IPv4 and IPv6 ORPort reachability separately
3. make relays autodetect an IPv6 address (needs 2)
Here's the parent ticket for this change:
Our next step is to write a proposal for this change.
(There is already some code in some of the tickets.)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the tor-relays