[tor-relays] Become a Fallback Directory Mirror

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Jun 24 01:16:39 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 24 Jun 2019, at 02:49, tschador at posteo.de wrote:
>
> On 2019-06-23 14:32, teor wrote:
>
>> But your relay needs a DirPort to be a fallback directory mirror.
>> Here are some instructions for different platforms:
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide#PlatformspecificInstructions
>
> This should be clarified in the Tor manual [1] too!
>
> "Tor will contact the authority at ipv4address to download directory
> documents. The provided port value is a dirport; clients ignore this in
> favor of the specified "orport=" value. If an IPv6 ORPort is supplied,
> Tor will also download directory documents at the IPv6 ORPort."
>
> Am I right that for fallback directory mirrors DirPort is needed but
> ignored by clients?

It is needed to make sure that the relay serves directory documents.
We run a script that uses the DirPort to check the download speed.

> Possibly this explains why I lost the fallback
> directory flag since I have removed the DirPort in torrc …

Fallbacks need the same ports, IP addresses, and keys for 2 years.
That includes the DirPort.

It's not possible to configure a fallback without a dirport:

FallbackDir ipv4address:port orport=port id=fingerprint [weight=num] [ipv6=[ipv6address]:orport]

(The first port is a dirport, and both dirport and orport are required.)

I have updated the template:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/UpdatingFallbackDirectoryMirrors/FallbackEmailTemplate?action=diff&version=2

And opened a ticket for the man page: