[tor-relays] Call for setting up new obfs4 bridges

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Jun 20 19:22:29 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

BridgeDB is running low on obfs4 bridges and often fails to provide
users with three bridges per request.  Besides, we recently fixed a
BridgeDB issue that could get an obfs4 bridge blocked because of its
vanilla bridge descriptor: <https://bugs.torproject.org/28655>

We therefore want to encourage volunteers to set up new obfs4 bridges to
help censored users.  Over the last few weeks, we have been improving
our obfs4 setup guide which walks you through the process:
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/PluggableTransports/obfs4proxy>

The guide provides instructions for Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL,
OpenSUSE, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD.  If you're running into any issues with
the guide, please let us know!

Finally, once you set up an obfs4 bridge, make sure that both your
ORPort *and* your obfs4 port are reachable.  Tor currently only tests
the reachability of its ORPort.  We set up a service that allows you to
test the reachability of your obfs4 port:
<https://bridges.torproject.org/scan/>

Thanks for keeping the Tor network healthy by running relays and
bridges!

Thanks,
Philipp