[tor-relays] Wrong country and AS number/ name

J@tor tor at c-18.net
Thu Jun 20 08:30:38 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On Jun 19, 2019, at 11:34 AM, teor <teor at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 19 Jun 2019, at 06:36, ILikeTor <iliketor at cock.li> wrote:
>>
>> I have set up a relay about 3 days ago now. I am hosting my relay at a
>> German hosting provider called "contabo", but the relay search of
>> Tor Metrics tells me that the relay is based in the United States and
>> that the AS number and name are unknown. Does someone know what I could
>> do to fix this?
>>
>> Link:
>> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/53E89AD9B9320749F04DCA757F1C4DACE66205B9
>
> GeoIP databases are never 100% accurate, particularly for servers.
>
> Onionoo uses MaxMind's database.
> I tried putting your IPv4 and IPv6 into their demo, and it said contabo in Germany.
> https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo
>
> Maybe the GeoIP for these addresses was changed recently?
> Maybe Onionoo takes a while to update the GeoIP for new addresses?

Thats exactly it. As you can see at https://www-static.ripe.net/dynamic/table-of-transfers/inter-rir/incoming-ipv4.json <https://www-static.ripe.net/dynamic/table-of-transfers/inter-rir/incoming-ipv4.json>  the adresses where transferred from arin to ripe some time ago (last november):
{"transferred_blocks":"167.86.96.0/19","date":"20/11/2018","transferType":"POLICY","from_rir":"ARIN","to_organisation":"Contabo GmbH"},

I do not know onionoo, but but my local whois from a debian machine also stil probes the arin database and times out.
You could contact contabo for that, maybe they are interested in correcting this?

Best
J (nicknames are overrated ;) )