[tor-relays] Home Router limits question

Jonathan Marquardt mail at parckwart.de
Sun Jun 16 08:56:11 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 04:14:00PM +0000, torix at protonmail.com wrote:
> Would tor show something in its log if I were hitting my router's limit?
> Seeing nothing there or in my router's gui log interface, but not sure what
> I should expect to see.

If you don't restrict the capacity that Tor is supposed to use by setting
options like "BandwidthRate" etc. in torrc, your relay will simply use all the
bandwidth that is availible. So Tor will automatically push your router or
your internet connection's capacity to their upper limits. That is, if you
have less bandwidth availible than a single relay will even be assigned by the
Tor network, of course. There are limits for that as well.
--
OpenPGP Key: 47BC7DE83D462E8BED18AA861224DBD299A4F5F3
             https://www.parckwart.de/pgp_key