[tor-relays] Setting Tor Relay to Hibernate After 100Mbits

Matt Traudt pastly at torproject.org
Mon Jun 3 17:39:43 UTC 2019

On 6/3/19 13:20, Keifer Bly wrote:
> Hi all, so as of Google Clouds pricing plans on outgoing traffic, I am
> attempting to set my relay to hibernate after sending 100 mbits of data
> per month. Does this torrc configuration look like it would do that?
>
> SOCKSPort 0
>
> ORPort 65534
>
> ExitPolicy reject *:*
>

> ContactInfo keiferDoTblyAtgmaildOtcom
>
> Nickname torworld
>
> RelayBandwidthRate 100 MBits
>
> RelayBandwidthBurst 100 MBits
>
> AccountingMax 100 MBits
>
> AccountingStart month 1 00:00
>
> AccountingRule out
>
> Thanks all.

100 Megabits is 12.5 Megabytes, and approximately ~10 page loads of the
average web page these days (as unscientifically eye-balled by me).

Further, setting RBR and RBB to 100 Mbits (per second) means you could
theoretically hit your tiny AccountingMax in the first second of every
month.

An AccountingMax of 100 Megabits is almost assuredly not what you
actually want.

I'm wondering if there was some confusion about the difference between
speed and a simple of bytes. Confusingly, Tor uses the same unit strings
(like "MBits") for both, but mentally we should be adding "per second"
for torrc options like RelayBandwidthRate.

100 Megabits per second is a reasonable RBR setting for a reasonable
relay. 100 Megabits per month is a useless relay.

Hope that helps.

Matt