[tor-relays] Question about Bridges Bandwidth Authority

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Sat Jul 27 11:12:02 UTC 2019

Hello again,

Getting back to this post with an update, see inline:

s7r wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know more details about how exactly the bridge bandwidth
> authority works, and if we use the "weight" of each bridge for anything.
>
> For example, I have setup 5 obfs4 bridges, with the exact very same
> hardware resources and all on the same network speed of course.
>
> One of them gets used by clients (say 20-50 unique clients every 6 hours
> or so) while the rest of 4 are not used at all. This usage is not a
> concern for me, as its known bridges take time until they get used,
> depending on which bucket they have been assigned and etc. So I assume
> it's OK at this particular point in their lifetime to be unused by any
> client.
>
> But what I am curious about is, when I search them on RelaySearch, the
> used one has a measured bandwidth of over 2 MiB/s (and has the fast
> flag) while other 3 unused ones have bandwidths of between 50 and 60
> KiB/s (these also have the fast flag) and there is one last one which is
> also not used and has a bandwidth of less than 10 KiB/s that does not
> have the fast flag. (Fast flag missing is also not my problem, I am just
> mentioning it as a side detail).
>
> Now I know for sure those values are not at all in according to the real
> environment. Each bridge should be at least capable of 3 MiB/s even if
> all 5 are used at the same time at their full speeds. Actually I have
> simulated this, it's not just theoretical.
>
> Is there anything related to usage, so that the bridge bandwidth
> authority only measures the used bridges? What could have cause such big
> discrepancy in my particular case, any ideas?

It could be something about this.
Another bridge just started to get fair usage (say 60 - 80 unique
clients every 6 hour or so) and it got measured from slightly over 50
KiB/s to ~4 MiB/s which is actually closer to the reality.

The rest of unused bridges by clients still are reported as ~50 KiB/s
which is very low.