[tor-relays] Limiting Tor Relay To Run On Google Cloud VPS

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 19 08:40:12 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 19/07/2019 00:06, Keifer Bly wrote:
> ...as long as the relay generates a maximum of 4.9 GB per
> month...
A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation gives about 16kbit/sec if you
spread that bandwidth evenly over the whole month. The only way you
could do it would be to have a relay that hibernates for the majority of
the month, "concentrating" that 4.9GB into a day or so then doing
nothing until the next billing period.

Whether that would really help the network is another matter - I don't
know how "intermittent" nodes are handled.

Even running a bridge would be challenging when the bandwidth is that
limited.

(You might be able to game the system by having multiple VPSes and
moving the node around between them, using a VPN to bring it out at the
same IP address every time, but that opens a whole new can of worms
which I don't even want to think about.)

Stephen