[tor-relays] Call for setting up new obfs4 bridges

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Jul 18 15:12:38 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 12:50:34PM +1000, Ben Riley wrote:
> Then I saw the above email about being a bridge and thought, fine, I'll
> configure it to be a bridge and help out someone.
> Tried to do it via the docker/script method, but soon realised that was
> outside my skill level (hey stop laughing! :P)

Did you run into any specific issues?  If you had troubles following the
guide, I'm gonna blame the guide.

> Setting ORPort to 443 as suggested.  I forwarded that port on the
> router and then tested it, but it said it was closed. So I thought my
> router was playing up.  I checked a few other ports using online tools
> and a few of them were closed.  I forwarded a new another port to some
> other software on another machine and that worked?!  So I realised the
> ports are open on the router but closed on the ubuntu machine.  I've
> played around with all the settings, changed by torrc file to a really
> basic one of:

To run obfs4 on port 443, you will have to run the following command, to
allow obfs4proxy to bind to port 443:

  sudo setcap cap_net_bind_service=+ep /usr/bin/obfs4proxy

If you did that already, it would be helpful to see your logs.

Cheers,
Philipp