[tor-relays] Call for setting up new obfs4 bridges

nottryingtobelame at protonmail.com nottryingtobelame at protonmail.com
Wed Jul 3 14:38:03 UTC 2019

Hello,

I successfully ran an obfs4 bridge about a year ago that saw moderate traffic. After a few months, the traffic died off until I was consistently seeing 0 clients. I wiped the keys, got a new IP address, and started a new bridge. The 2nd bridge saw 0 clients, over several months. I finally wiped it again and started a 3rd bridge. Same thing, 0 clients for several months. My 4th bridge, which I took down last night, was up for just shy of 3 months with 0 clients. Before I took it down, I tested using https://bridges.torproject.org/scan/ and confirmed the ports were reachable. While I was not able to test the previous iterations, I setup the port forwarding for each of them for both the OR Port and the Ext OR Port that it randomly assigned. I won't be able to grab a new IP address this time, but I'm starting the bridge up again with new ID keys and new ports. Is it normal for bridges to see no traffic, and if they're not seeing any, should I keep them online?