[tor-relays] Installing Tor As Windows Service And Updating Via Script (was RE: Having Trouble With Speed Of OBFS4 Bridge)

Keifer Bly keifer.bly at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 00:01:02 UTC 2019

Darn, I just restarted the relay because tor 0.3.5.7 came out today before seeing this email. I have been playing with the Windows Powershell regarding this and made some interesting discoveries.

So, I found that the Windows Powershell equivalent to linux's "apt-get" is "install-package -Name". And so, I tried running "install-package -name tor" and got this error (see the attached screenshot).

The error is that tor project is not in the list for Windows to install packages from on Windows (it's not finding tor packages as a result), as I discovered at the other attached image.

However, according to my research at
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/packagemanagement/register-packagesource?view=powershell-6

Windows Powershell can register sources to install packages from via Register-PackageSource -Name command listed. So Something along the lines of

PS C:\> Register-PackageSource -Name "tor" -Location "http://torurl" -ProviderName "TorProject" may have interesting results possibly. What is the tor packages download url so I may try this? Once this is returned to me I will return to the list with my findings.

Cheers.