[tor-relays] Having Trouble With Speed Of OBFS4 Bridge

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Jan 28 04:00:31 UTC 2019

On January 27, 2019 8:19:43 PM UTC, Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote:
>So, advertised bandwidth is based on how much bandwidth the clients are
>currently using and not how fast it actually is?

Yes. Here is the description of advertised bandwidth from the glossary:

"Bandwidth

The volume of traffic, both incoming and outgoing, that this bridge is willing to sustain, as configured by the operator and claimed to be observed from recent data transfers."

https://metrics.torproject.org/glossary.html#advertised-bandwidth

>I had another question as well, I guess I should update the ContactInfo
>line to a not obfuscated email address so the bridge authority can
>reach me easier

We don't send out automated emails to relay or bridge operators. So obfuscated emails are fine.

> how can I do this without restarting the relay? I have
>tor expert bundle installed as a Windows service via powershell

Don't worry, you can restart your bridge whenever you need to. Any clients using your bridge will switch to one of their other bridges.

If you really don't want to restart your bridge, and you have time to look up the detailed steps:

On unix-based operating systems, you can reload Tor's config by sending a SIGHUP. Windows doesn't have signals, but you can send a SIGHUP over the control port using stem or another Tor controller.

You'll need to configure a control port first.

If you can't get it to work, write back to us with a link to the steps you tried, and links to a paste of your Tor logs and controller session.

Or just restart the bridge.

teor