[tor-relays] Having Trouble With Speed Of OBFS4 Bridge

teor teor at riseup.net
Sun Jan 27 09:48:33 UTC 2019

Hi,

Tor isn't like bittorrent or other bull download  protocols. It's mainly used for quick web page accesses. So it only uses the data it needs.

Users get their web pages faster if Tor bridges and relays have spare capacity. So spare capacity is really good for users.

Bridge and relay operators shouldn't expect Tor to use all their bandwidth.

On January 27, 2019 7:23:30 AM UTC, Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi, based on the heartbeat log, about 2 clients seem to use the bridge
>every six hours. The log says.
>
>"In the last 6 hours I have seen 2 unique clients. Tor's uptime is 12
>hours, with 0 circuits open."

2 clients probably won't use all your available bandwidth, unless they are always downloading big files.

But you are still helping them get to the internet. And if they ever do need lots of bandwidth, your bridge will give it to them.

>> How are you measuring the speed?
>
>On my bridge listing at
>https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/148BD64BED9F2C27637D986DE032ECF14E5B9E9A,
>it says "Advertised Bandwidth 59 kb/s"

Your bridge isn't being used very much. That's ok.

>As requested, the torrc has been posted with the port numbers removed
>at
>paste.debian.net/1062702
>
>Another strange thing is that the ContactInfo string is not showing up
>for some reason, even though when I started tor it said "ContactInfo
>listed more than once, all but the last entry will be ignored" or
>something similar.

You have 3 ContactInfo lines. You can delete 2 of them.

Bridge contact info is not shown on relay search for privacy reasons. The IP addresses and ports are also hidden.

teor