[tor-relays] DNS Server

eric gisse jowr.pi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 23:42:31 UTC 2019

This is what I do:

My tor exit node runs on its own, but I have a full caching bind
server on a different VM. This services some domains I run, with ACLs
to do regular DNS.

I use the following DNS servers:

2606:4700:4700::1111 -- Cloudflare
2001:1608:10:25::1c04:b12f -- https://dns.watch/
2600::1 -- Sprint

No individual DNS provider inspires me with amazing confidence,
however the caching server turns my bind instance into a pretty
solidly constructed one.

1) I don't really think v6 snooping/monitoring is "there yet". Thin
gruel, but still.
2) DNS doesn't go out the same stack in the case of v4 requests and
doesn't go out the same ip for v6. Sure, you can associate to within
the same /64 but that's just more effort any attacker would have to
do.
3) I cache a LOT.

Check out these nameserver cache statistics:

services /var/log/named # grep -i cache stats
++ Cache Statistics ++
           251588520 cache hits
              452018 cache misses
            50306019 cache hits (from query)
            63441802 cache misses (from query)

I cache a LOT.

Think of your threat model - what are you worried about? Is DNS really
your concern?