[tor-relays] Leaky-pipe circuit topology

Matt Traudt pastly at torproject.org
Fri Jan 18 12:29:46 UTC 2019

This mailing list is for support and questions about running Tor relays
(exit, non-exit, bridge). Please be sure to ask questions in the correct
place. #tor on irc.oftc.net might have been a good place.

Water can leak from a leaky pipe in many places, meaning not all the
water makes it to the end of the pipe.

In Tor, you can send traffic into a circuit that isn't just destined to
go out the other end. You can send traffic into a circuit that is
destined for one of the relays in the middle. Thus not all the traffic
makes it to the end of the circuit.

Matt