[tor-relays] why the network lost 350 relays and some, bridges

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sat Jan 12 10:19:00 UTC 2019

Argo2:
> I was intrigued by the high number of consumer IP's that these relay
> are supposed to be running on while seemingly automated updating the
> relay version. The nickname made me look into Ubuntu Snaps as a
> possible tor distribution which led me to this snap:
> https://snapcraft.io/tor-middle-relay.

we are well aware of the source of that package
(see previous threads on this ML)

> It was last updated the 9th of January and when you download the
> stable snap it is actually named 'snap269'. So the maintainer in this
> case is the snap maintainer, but not necessarily the relay(s)
> operator.

I was not trying to suggest that package maintainer and relays maintainer are the same
entity (Chad, the snap maintainer is on this list)

> I have not looked into how these snaps actually work but
> it may be the case that they actually needed the PortForwaring
> functionality to get tor running inside a snap.
>
> Given that information it could very well be the case that these
> relays are not running behind a NAT

I doubt that.
the demonstrated effect of removing the portforwarding functionality temporarily and
their reverse DNS names suggest that they are mostly behind
consumer grade Internet uplinks.

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu