[tor-relays] Tor relay on Verizon FiOS/FTTH: Advertised Bandwidth capped at ~19.5MiB/s

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Mon Feb 18 14:33:12 UTC 2019

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 09:06:05 -0500
Neel Chauhan <neel at neelc.org> wrote:

> Verizon gives both 300 mbps upload and download speeds. Uploads are more
> heavily oversubscribed on FiOS, primarily because GPON gives 2.5gbps
> downloads and 1.25gbps uploads.

But then again the upload will be barely utilized by typical residential
Internet users.

Still my recommendation is to test your bandwidth in multiple ways first,
be it speedtest.net, or (better yet) https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli,
or iperf3 servers, if you can find any near your location.

If tests show that you do get near 300 Mbit both directions, the next step
would be to just set up two instances of Tor, as I suggested before in your
thread[1]. Actually fun to see my prediction from back then coming true
precisely (with regard to getting only 200 Mbit).

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/tor-relays@lists.torproject.org/msg15819.html

Running two instances is the universal solution which should improve Tor's
bandwidth utilization on almost any connection.

--
With respect,
Roman